Women's Film Fest - This Saturday!
From: Shield, Emily (eshieldcambridgema.gov)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:08:54 -0700 (PDT)

Did the Oscars leave you unsatisfied? The 2012 WAM!Boston Film Festival can help. We're proud to showcase works from up-and-coming female filmmakers, many of them local.

All the action happens this Saturday, March 24 at The Brattle Theater, 40 Brattle Street, Cambridge. Tickets to each screening are only $5-$8, and all-day festival passes are only $20. All the details, trailers & tickets here. See you there!

1:00 pm

cnw logoThe Fruit of Our Labor

Afghan women share stories of their fight for social change. Going far beyond western media coverage of Afghanistan, these self-produced short docs provide a fresh perspective on Afghan women's issues. We'll screen three shorts from the series, touching on issues of girls' education, women with disabilities, addiction, family, marriage and more. Q&A to follow. $5. Read more & buy tickets.

2:30 PM

http://www.womenactionmedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/FwdUpdateOnMyLife-film-still.jpgAnimated and Experimental Shorts

Fiction and non-fiction shorts. Relationships, mortality, and mental health are explored in creative ways ranging from stop-motion to SecondLife. Q&A to follow. $5. Read more & buy tickets.

4:45PM

http://www.womenactionmedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/walking-home-still-1.pngMarks & Milestones

Ranging from humorous to poignant, these short films explore the milestones of women's lives, and the ways that outward appearance can be deeply tied to identity. Q&A to follow. $5. Read more & buy tickets.

7:00PM

http://www.womenactionmedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/herstory1.jpgA Moment in Her Story:

Stories from the Boston Women's Movement

Starting in 1968, the Second Wave of feminism rippled across the U.S., demanding expanded possibilities for women of all races and classes. In the Boston area, students, professionals, community activists and working class mothers, from Dorchester to Cambridge came together to demand change. Featuring interviews with Rita Arditti, Liane Brandon, Nancy Hawley, and other local activists, this documentary provides testimony of the movement's transforming energy, creativity, and determination. Fine cut screening.

Co-presented with Our Bodies, Ourselves. Q&A to follow. Read more & buy tickets.

9:30PM

http://www.womenactionmedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/3_Etay_076LB.jpgNo Look Pass

 The coming-of-age American Dream story of Emily "Etay" Tay, a first generation Burmese immigrant from Chinatown, Los Angeles, who breaks all of the rules of tradition. After living a double life at Harvard University, she strives to play professional basketball while coming out as a lesbian. Emily's dreams are no slam dunk - family, race, and Don't Ask Don't Tell conspire against her, firing her passions on and off the court. This riveting documentary is a Boston-area premiere! Q&A to follow. (2011, dir.: Melissa Johnson, 87 min) $8.

Co-presented with the  Boston Asian American Film Festival
and the Boston Myanmar GroupRead more & buy tickets.

Screens with

http://www.womenactionmedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Carmen-and-Michael.jpgWhat Do You Know?

Elementary school children discuss what they know about gays and lesbians in this fun, honest, and thought-provoking short.

Part of WAM! It Yourself 2012, a multi-city event produced by Women, Action & the Media. For more information about events happening all over the country and beyond, click here.

WAM!Boston Film Festival 2012 is presented in part with funding from the Cambridge Arts Council and the Massachusetts Cultural Council. We're grateful to our media sponsor, The Weekly Dig, and all of our other co-sponsors below for their support. Please show them your support as well!

Cambridge Women's Commission

Women In Film & Video New England

The Brattle Theater

Women's & Gender Studies at MIT

Big Sister Association of Greater Boston

Cambridge YWCA

Lunafest

Emily Shield, Project Coordinator

Cambridge Commission on the Status of Women

51 Inman Street Cambridge, MA 02139

617.349.4697

http://cambridgewomenscommission.org/

http://www.facebook.com/Cambridge.Womens.Commission