Ways to celebrate International Women's Day and Women's History Month!
From: Shield, Emily (eshieldcambridgema.gov)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 11:30:04 -0800 (PST)

March 2-15

Weaving the Stories of Cambridge Women’s Lives (Panel Display)

Cambridge City Hall, First Floor

Come into City Hall for a peak at the thoughtfully designed panels depicting Cambridge women who have greatly impacted our community.

March 5

Street Harassment 101

7–8:30pm, City Hall Annex, 344 Broadway, Cambridge

What do we mean when we say ‘street harassment’? How does it affect communities? What’s the difference between a compliment and a catcall? How should I respond to harassment? Join us for a lively and engaging discussion with Kate Zeigler, founding member of Safe Hub Collective and former Director of Hollaback! Boston. This event is part of our quarterly Women&Words! series.

March 6

Making Women’s Rights Real

18th Annual Boston Area International Women’s Day Breakfast

7:30-9:30am, Simmons College, Paresky Conference Center, Boston

RSVP AT: tinyurl.com/BOSIWD2015

Spread the word using social media by sharing our Facebook event and using #BOSIWD and #IWD2015 on Twitter

Called the International Bill of Rights for Women, the United Nations’ Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) was introduced 36 years ago. Unfortunately, the US is not among the 186 nations which have ratified it. Join us for an engaging discussion outlining the standards for equal rights and learn about recent developments locally and globally, including earned sick time, paid family leave, and a Bill of Rights for domestic workers.

March 21

Women, Action & the Media’s

WAM! Boston Film Festival

Brattle Theater, Cambridge

Come experience a unique lineup of films made by women, and about women, from up-and-coming filmmakers from New England and around the globe. For more information about films and tickets, click here

March 24

One Woman’s Courage:  Empowering Nepal’s Lowest Caste Women

6:30pm, Refreshments

7pm, Film and Discussion

Cambridge Main Library Auditorium

Join us for a screening of the micro-documentary, Untouchable, about human rights activist Dr. Bishnu Maya Pariyar’s journey back to the village where she was born and raised as one of Nepal’s Dalits, the so called untouchable people. The film depicts the tremendous obstacles of gender and caste discrimination, poverty and exclusion that Dr. Pariyar overcame. Now a prolific scholar, social entrepreneur and internationally respected advocate, Dr. Pariyar will discuss the film and the efforts of her non-profit EDWON (Empower Dalit Women of Nepal) which strives to give women the tools to become agents of change through social and economic empowerment.

  • (no other messages in thread)