A Feminist History of Inman Square: Walking Tour - July 17, 12pm
From: Shield, Emily (eshieldcambridgema.gov)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 07:21:08 -0700 (PDT)

Looking forward to seeing many of you tomorrow, Wednesday, July 17, 12pm at the City Hall Annex (344 Broadway). We will meet at the City Hall Annex park on the corner of Inman Street and Broadway, since the main entrance to the City Hall Annex is under construction.  It looks like it's going to be a hot day - please bring water with you and we will try to find spots in the shade to stop.

*Please note, we will be having another walk/event in the evening in August for those who are unable to attend daytime events.  Stay tuned for more details coming soon.*

July 17 - A Feminist History of Inman Square: Walking Tour

Led by Kimm Topping, Cambridge Women's Commission Researcher

12pm, Meet at 344 Broadway, City Hall Annex, walk is approximately 1 hour

Did you know that in the early 1970’s, Inman Square was home to many women-owned businesses and organizations like a health center, law collective, credit union, restaurant and cultural center, and a craft collective?  Or that one of the nation’s first feminist bookstores thrived at 186 Hampshire Street for more than 25 years?

Come have a sneak peak at the Women’s Commission’s new historical guide highlighting the rich feminist history along Hampshire Street from 1970 to 1990. More information about the guide, as well as an opening reception, will be available in the coming weeks.

This walk is part of our summer walking series in collaboration with Cambridge Community Development. Please check www.cambridgewomenscommission.org  for more information about meeting points and walk themes.

July 17: Feminists of Inman Square

July 24: Cambridge Historical Commission

July 31: Public Art

August 7: Community Development

Emily Shield

Cambridge Women’s Commission

www.cambridgewomenscomission.org

51 Inman Street, Cambridge, MA 02139

617.349.4697

Pronouns: she/her/hers

The Cambridge Women’s Commission recognizes, supports, and advocates for all who self-identify as women or with womanhood, including transgender, gender fluid, and non-binary persons. We stand with and for all women and girls regardless of immigration status, sexuality, race, ethnicity, ability or religion.