Two exciting Women's History Month events this week!
From: Shield, Emily (eshieldcambridgema.gov)
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 10:49:02 -0800 (PST)

This week we have TWO events planned for Women’s History Month along with our partners at Cambridge Public Library.  Share with your family, friends, and co-workers!

*Please note the time adjustment for the event on Wednesday.

Tuesday, March 3

“In the Room”: Women of Color Doulas in a State of Emergency, An Evening with Dr. Jennifer Nash

6:30pm, Cambridge Main Library, Lecture Hall

"In the Room” explores the work of women of color doulas laboring in Chicago in an era where doulas are increasingly hailed—by the state and by activists—as precisely the innovation that can save black mothers’ lives. Dr. Nash is an associate professor of African American studies and gender and sexuality studies at Northwestern University and an ACLS Frederick Burkhardt Fellow at the Radcliffe Institute at Harvard.

Wednesday, March 4

She the People: A Graphic History of Uprisings, Breakdowns, Setbacks, Revolts, and Enduring Hope on the Unfinished Road to Women’s Equality: An Evening with author Jen Deaderick

*6:30pm, Cambridge Main Library, Community Room

*This time is 30 minutes later than previously emailed

“A sweeping, smart, and smart-ass graphic history of women's quest for equality.” SHE THE PEOPLE: A Graphic History of Uprisings, Breakdowns, Setbacks, Revolts, and Enduring Hope on the Unfinished Road to Women's Equality, is an illustrated history of women’s citizenship in the US from 1776 to now. Journalist, historian, and activist, Jen Deaderick takes on the campaign for change by offering a cheekily illustrated, sometimes sarcastic, and all-too-true account of women's evolving rights and citizenship. She takes readers on a walk down the ERA's rocky road to become part of our Constitution by highlighting changes in the legal status of women alongside the significant cultural and social influences of the time. Women's history is revealed as an integral part of U.S. history, and not a tangential sideline.

Jen Deaderick has written about gender and citizenship for the New York Times, the Huffington Post, Experience, and Dame. She is also a regular contributor on WGBH’s news show, Greater Boston. Since 2008, she has run the largest Equal Rights Amendment page on Facebook.

Emily Shield

Cambridge Women’s Commission

www.cambridgewomenscommission.org

51 Inman Street, Cambridge, MA 02139

617.349.4697

Pronouns: she/her/hers

The Cambridge Women’s Commission recognizes, supports, and advocates for all who self-identify as women or with womanhood, including transgender, gender non-conforming, and non-binary persons. We stand with and for all women and girls regardless of immigration status, sexuality, race, ethnicity, ability or religion.

  • (no other messages in thread)